Mother’s Day Brunch - Eggs Benedict 2 Ways
Spicy Filet Mignon and Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict
Making the perfect Mother’s Day brunch can be daunting, but with a few tips and tricks you can give mom the meal she deserves with this elevated classic she’s sure to love! On one half, tender slices of Filet Mignon are topped with soft poached eggs and a luscious hollandaise sauce with a spicy twist. The other half combines a smoked salmon deli favorite with the classic benedict. The key to making this meal gorgeous is preparing everything ahead of time before the final assembly. Don’t forget the mimosas!
- 2 Filet Mignons
- 8oz Smoked Salmon
- 4 English Muffins
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 Tbs Vinegar (optional)
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs Cold Water
- 12 Tbs Unsalted Butter- Softened
- 1 Tsp Sriracha (optional)
- Salt/White Pepper
- Cream Cheese
- Sliced Tomato
- Sliced Red Onion
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Cayenne Pepper
- Fresh Dill
- Fresh Chives
Perfectly Poached Eggs
- Prepare a large bowl of cold water.
- Fill a large pot with water at least 4 inches deep
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar to the pot. (this is optional, but it will help the eggs hold together better).
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl. This helps prevent any unwanted pieces of shell and allows you to quickly transfer the egg to the water.
- Turn the heat to low. When the water is no longer bubbling, use a wooden spoon to swirl the water so there is a small whirlpool in the middle of the pot. Immediately slide the egg into the middle of the whirlpool.
- Set a timer for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, use a slotted spoon to gently transfer the egg to the bowl of cold water.
- Bring your water back to a boil and repeat this process until all of your eggs have been poached.
Perfectly Cooked Filet Mignon
- Remove the filets from the fridge and allow them to come to room temperature.
- Rub filets generously with a high smoke point oil such as Avocado, Grapeseed or Canola oil.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed oven safe pan over medium high heat until it is very hot.
- Sear filets for 2 min per side, then transfer the pan directly into the oven and bake until desired doneness. (about 5 minutes for medium rare)
- Remove the steaks from the oven and transfer them to a plate to rest, unsliced, for at least 5 minutes.
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1Tbs Water
- 12 Tbs Unsalted Butter – Softened
- White Pepper
- 1 – 2 Tsp Sriracha (optional)
In a saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, lemon juice and water.
Place the pan over LOW heat and whisk continuously while periodically moving the pan on and off of the burner. The egg mixture will begin to thicken. You do not want to scramble the eggs, they should remain in liquid form. When the egg mixture begins to coat the whisk, remove from heat completely. Add the softened butter little by little while continuously whisking until all of the butter is incorporated and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. (White pepper keeps the sauce from having visible black pepper flakes. If you do not have any on hand, omit.)
OPTIONAL: If desired, divide the sauce in half and add 1-2 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce to one half. This will be the sauce for the Filet Mignon Benedict.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water (not boiling) Transfer the poached eggs from the cold water to the hot water for about 3-4 minutes. This will gently warm the eggs without cooking them further, so the yolks remain soft. Gently drain poached eggs on paper towels.
- Slice the filets and lay out all of the toppings and garnishes for easy and quick assembly.
- Toast the halved English Muffins.
- On one half of the muffins lightly butter and lay filet slices with a poached egg on top. Spoon sriracha hollandaise over the top and garnish with cayenne pepper and fresh chives.
- On the other half of the muffins, spread a small amount of cream cheese. Next, layer a slice of tomato, sliced red onion, smoked salmon and a poached egg. Spoon hollandaise over the top. Garnish with everything bagel seasoning, capers, and fresh dill.
Recipe & Photography created by @wanderingchopstix